A native Texan, I was born in Austin and raised on 10 acres of hill county in Driftwood. Most of my time growing up was spent exploring the land with my younger sister.
I left my home state to attend Boston University where in 2008 I earned my B.S. in Print Journalism. During the last semester I lived in Washington, D.C. interning for the Opinions and Editorial section of the WashingtonPost.com. I also reported from Capitol Hill as the D.C. Correspondent for the New Bedford Standard Times.
In September 2008 I was hired by Houston Community Newspaper at their Humble office. For 10 months I covered Northeast Harris County and East Montgomery County before quitting to pursue my masters degree. In May 2010, I graduated from Columbia University’s Graduate School of Journalism with an M.S. in journalism.
In September 2010, I was hired by the New Jersey Local News Service, a now-defunct operation that fed copy exclusively to the Star-Ledger, New Jersey’s largest daily newspaper. From January to June 2011, I was an intern in the Washington Bureau of the Dallas Morning News.
Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, Masters of Journalism, May 2010
Pulitzer Moore Fellow
- Reporting for the Bronx Ink on a housing collapse in the Bronx and its impact upon low-income families Analyzing foreign coverage and writing foreign stories through immigrant communities
- Investigative Reporting: Utilizing online documents and public records to create stories
- Webmaster for our class website, www.bronxink.org
Boston University, Bachelor of Science: Print Journalism, September 2008
Dallas Morning News, Washington, DC
- Intern January 2011 – June 2011
- A1 story about Waco Mammoth Site and the town’s efforts to declare the site a national monument.
- Metro-front feature on the 40th anniversary of the frozen margarita machine by Mariano Martinez.
- Metro-front package about Tine Valencic, the Colleyville student who won the National Geographic Bee.
Local News Service, The Star-Ledger, Somerville, NJ
- Reporter September 2010 – December 2010
- My geographic beat: 11 towns in northest Morris County, writing one to two stories a day
- Sunday exclusive about a multi-million dollar coin heist, picked up by the AP
- Front page spread about migratory hawk season in New Jersey
Houston Community Newspapers, The Observer Newspapers Humble, TX
- Reporter/Photographer September 2008 – June 2009
- Wrote daily stories and take accompanying photos for print and the web
- Localized the presidential election through issues like immigration, the Iraq War
- Covered the public debate over a $1.5 billion amusement park and research facility
- Wrote a four-part series on mental health including young and life-long sufferers
New Bedford Standard Times, Washington, D.C.
- Washington, D.C. Correspondent January 2008 – May 2008
- Covered issues important to Barney Frank’s constituency, immigration, drugs, finance
- Reported on Joe Kennedy’s $2 million war chest, researched through FEC records
- Wrote a profile on a New Bedford teacher who ran in the Sun Trust Marathon
- Wrote about Frank’s effort to overturn a ban on online gambling
- Compared the Mass. and federal debate over decriminalizing medical marijuana
WashingtonPost.com, Arlington, Virginia
- Opinions and Editorial Intern January 2008 – April 2008
- Checked opinions content for typos and organize the site’s columns and editorials by subject
- Published the daily e-mail newsletter for the Opinions section
- Helped produce the daily section– writing headlines and blurbs on both the home page box and Opinions section front as well as finding relevant art
Boston University College of Fine Arts Information Technology Office, Boston, MA
- Student Manager September 2004 – December 2007
- Oversaw the computer lab and the employees that operate the student help desk
- Maintained and service 250 plus computers in CFA with ITO staff
- Administered print jobs submitted by faculty and students on several printers
- Long-term project: created an online site to access the Filemaker database for the music library
Final Cut Pro, Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Access, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver), html
Language: Written and oral proficiency in Spanish